Monday, May 14, 2007

Marc Prensky's site

If you have a gamer in your household you really need to check out this site:
marcprensky.com


I had read about his book "Don't Bother Me Mom--I'm Learning!"

But hadn't really looked at his website. Wow! Tons of writings and discussions there about video game playing. One that was really relevant to us was this one:

Complexity Matters

Some people believe that video game playing is mindless drivel. Which some games can be very simplistic. A way of vegging out. But for most gamers, these games aren't going to be their games of choice. They tend to choose games that take hours or days to complete; games that keep their attention and brains going.

I think for a lot of parents its hard for them to understand that draw because they grew up with much simpler games. (Prensky touches on this.) If they would sit and watch what their kids are doing and talk with their kids while they're playing these games, huge misunderstandings could be resolved.









2 comments:

Madeline Rains said...

I found this book in the library a few months ago and loved what I read of it. I quote from it to my non-video game allowing acquaintances. I will go to his web site. Thanks for the link.

kelli said...

Wow, that's great that you had that at your library. I'm going to check and see if it's at ours, if it isn't, I'm going to get one for it. :)