Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's not just Pong anymore..

People are starting to see what type of thinking goes into video game playing.

An article from Wired magazine (brought to you from Always Learning)

http://tinyurl. com/5tcfme

This article reminds me of the time Abbi decided to make a graph showing the prices of something she was selling at the auction house on WoW. She wanted to see when during the day would be the best time to sell her item. Yep.. economics at it's best.. when it's fun! :)

This writing by Mark Prensky is very applicable also. He talks about how gaming has changed in the last 20 years or so.

http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky-Complexity_Matters.pdf


I don't really like labeling certain games as educational, of course I believe that we are continually learning, but I know what he's saying ;)



4 comments:

Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Thanks for the links, Kelli. I've got the Prensky book, but hadn't seen that article.

Have you guys read "Ender's Game"? Have I already asked you that? :)

kelli said...

No Laura, we haven't read it. I read about it and asked Alec if he wanted to read it, a while back. He wasn't really interested in it at the time though. And you hadn't asked me about it :)

Unknown said...

what an interesting (and not too surprising) article. I place great value on those who work out all those models, they help me when I get stuck battling various bosses ;)


May I thrown in a recommendation for Enders' Game as well? The husband and I reference it from time to time.

kelli said...

Ok, I'm gonna have to pick up that book, too many people have mentioned it to ignore it!

thanks guys :)